We all know refined sugar is bad for your dental health but did you know that naturally occurring sugars in fruit juice can also hurt your teeth? Here’s a quick check list of what’s good and bad for your dental health to help you make better choices, every day.
- Dairy products especially cheese – opt for unflavoured milk and yoghurts as they may have considerable amounts of sugar
- Water – yep every time. Have a glass of water after a sticky sweet morsel to reduce the risk of dental decay
Not So Good
- Sugary, sticky food such as caramel, jellybeans and even raisins that contain the natural sugar, fructose
- Refined carbohydrates like chips and pasta can create bacteria that produces acid that eats away at your teeth
- Carbonated drinks such as soft drinks can be laden with sugar. Even diet versions can be harmful as they contain phosphorus your tooth enamel.
- Sports drinks claim to health benefits but many contain a lot of sugar so beware!
It’s easy to improve your dental health by making some healthy nutrition choices.